[Javascript] Spell Checker

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Mon Aug 13 13:05:14 CDT 2007

On 8/13/07, SosCpdGMail <soscpd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure, that will be slow, and every time you upgrade the dictionary,
> people will need to download the entire cache again(or you will split? Not
> useful at all). Why not http request to a server-side script? One word each
> time will be very fast, and don't need to be sync, you can cache by the
> language check on the fly. You can protect your js code to, I work like that
> today, creating a script element in the DOM on the fly and executing the
> string I get back from php.

Sure the client-side behaviour of "Use Ajax to do spellcheck via a
WebService" is easy enough.  But how does one implement the
WebService?

If you build a solution that handles only a single word because that's
all the current design requires, how well will it scale to a solution
where the user is typing a whole sentence?  .. or if the input is
changed to a textarea (implying potentially MUCH more text than a
single word or sentence)

Del's use was for a quiz.  I wonder how many teachers accept
incorrectly spelled answers as "good enough" for full credit.  Is this
a nice-to-have or a need-to-have feature?  Are the quiz answers likely
to be found in a dictionary of standard english, or are you going to
have to add the answers (and potential misspellings)  There are a lot
of considerations.