[Javascript] Resizing images client-side

Terry Riegel riegel at clearimageonline.com
Thu Jul 12 19:07:11 CDT 2007

I look at it this way. Educating users "isn't" going to happen.
Unless you only want a limited number of users that you can hold
their hands through the process. And then when they do it the next
time they will need you to step them through it again. Also... On the
educate users front be prepared to explain why some files are bigger
than others even though they are both 2 megapixel files. Also
remember there are a lot of graphics programs out there. Also some
users will ask you for a deeper explanation of what DPI means and why
by 4x6 print at 300DPI is to big, but a 8x10 at 10 DPI is ok. Many
users may also need help getting their scanner working. Also your
users will want to know the exact steps for how to resize their
images using SuperCool Photo Program Deluxe version 3.7 on Windows 98.

Ok course I am being facetious as this is why you are looking for a
client side solution in the first place. I look at it this way you
only really have control of the server. The user coming in may or may
not have what is needed to do client side processing. So in this case
I would do it on the server.

Also I think it is worth noting that sites like youtube are "working"
because they are agnostic to what you send them. They don't really
care. You can send a flash video, a quicktime movie, or a Real video,
or Window Media. They place the burden for making things work on the
server (something they have complete control of).

Just my 2 cents.

Terry