[Javascript] IE work-a-round question (re: checkboxes) OT

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sun Apr 13 09:35:18 CDT 2008

John Warner wrote:

 > What are standards indeed.

In the late '80s Sun Microsystems began sponsoring an event called
'Connectathon', where networking engineers gathered to test the
interoperability of their TCP/IP stacks and iron out differences
in a controlled, cooperative setting.

When's the last time you wondered if you were going to be able to,
say, successfully FTP a file from a Windows box to a *nix box? At
one time it wasn't a given, but /having a standard/ *and* having all
the networking vendors actively involved in addressing ambiguities
or omissions in the standard made the Internet of today possible.

> Imagine a world where developers think the user is king and develop for
> the user’s benefit instead of stroking their own ego.

Imagine a world where developers spend 100% of their time focused
on *creating value* for their clients/users, instead of diverting
a substantial portion to accomodating differences between browsers'
implementations of (or indifference to) standards.

Sorry, can't resist:
<http://www.i-marco.nl/weblog/archive/2006/06/24/time_breakdown_of_modern_web_d>

Note: appreciating the link above doesn't make me anti-Microsoft,
but anti-indifference-to-standards :-)  The whole area of mobile
phone browsers, for instance, is another standards train wreck...

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.