[Javascript] Bubbling and canceling events

Philip Thompson philthathril at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:38:00 CDT 2008

Hi all.

In the application I'm working on, I keep coming back to this similar
problem. I'll just show you here...

Ok, let's say the user clicks on "Print Card". This is a javascript
function that performs some AJAX-related things in the background (in
this case, prints a card). After clicking to print, I wish nothing
more to happen - I wish to cancel the set of events that follow. In
this case, I want to cancel the call to the javascript function
goToUrl() as specified in the <tr> element - I do not want to visit
the view user page. To accomplish this, I attempted the following:

function printCard () {
   if (!e) var e = window.event;
   e.cancelBubble = true;
   if (e.stopPropagation) e.stopPropagation();

   //... do stuff here
}

However, it still redirects me!! Ahhhh! I can't handle it anymore. Is
there anyway to cancel the redirection/events? I would be greatly
appreciated if someone could shed some much-needed light.

Thanks in advance,
~Philip

Note: this is a somewhat simplified example of the real thing.