[Javascript] Mouse cursor for AJAX projects?

David Hucklesby davidh126 at writeme.com
Mon May 12 23:08:36 CDT 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008 07:48:06 -0500, Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been developing sites running 100% AJAX communication between client and server,
> and one issue I have yet to solve is that when a link is selected in the browser we
> don't see anything indicating the browser is waiting for the server to respond, like
> the spinning graphics and stuff in the top right corner of IE and FF.
>
> I have seen some implementation that make the cursor spin to clue the user that the
> system is working, but can't find a code snippet or documentation explaining how to
> implement this.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know how to make the cursor spin, but showing an animated GIF on
submitting the request, then hiding it again when the request returns
might work for you.

HTML
CSS
.waiting {
  display:block;
  width: 32px; /* whatever */
  height: 32px: /* " " */
  background: url(images/rotating.gif) no-repeat center;
  visibility: hidden;
}

Toggle the visibility to "visible" and back via your script.

The extra span is to keep the box "inline" and may not be needed.

Cordially,
David