[Javascript] Question about prototype library, but more to the point about Javascript

Terry Riegel riegel at clearimageonline.com
Fri Oct 23 14:56:13 CDT 2009

Hello All,

I have a function I wrote that uses the prototype library so I hope
that doesn't turn anyone away from the core of my question.

I will start with what I am attempting to accomplish. I want to
periodically execute an XHR request to check in on the status of
another XHR request. So I have written a function called checkin...

function checkIn(l,p){
  checkIn = new PeriodicalExecuter(
   function(pe){
    new Ajax.Request(l,{
      method: 'GET',
      parameters: 'ajaxrequest=TRUE',
      encoding: 'UTF-8',
      onComplete: function(t){
       logit('checkin()',t.responseText);
       if (returnErrorCheck(t.responseText)) {this.stop;}
       clearImage="undefined";
      }
     });
     return false;
   },
   p);
}

I am trying to figure out how to take the PeriodicalExecuter and stop
it after it is started. Any ideas?

Terry