[Javascript] Alternative ways to "popup" images?

forwebonly at web.de forwebonly at web.de
Wed May 12 12:28:39 CDT 2010

Hello,
this is my first mail and question to this list :)

Let me try to formulate my problem:

On http://www.anyvet.de/test.html
you can see my try to create a webpage that contains images (ordered by
a text-file, read out by "order.php" server-side script) and allows to
enlarge them in a popup window.
The latter part is done with "enlarge.js", which i collected in the internet and modifed to my needs.

So far, this seems to work:
If i click on an image, the popup-window appears, correctly sized for the larger image.

But
i feel this to be ugly, because when you click on any other on the
main-page, the enlarged image itself, of the "prev", "next" links on
the popup-window, the following happens:

It loads the next
image, then the popup window seems to close, reopen in a different
shape - which you can see - and only then, reshape again to have the
right size and form for the next image.
So, the effect seems to be a fastly opening and closing window - which i feel is very ugly.

Sadly, i am a newby at HTML / PHP / Javascript and CSS.

My question is:

Is there is a more elegant way to show images in a popup - switching landscape- and portrait-mode correctly in between?
I mean, without that frame poping up and vanishing when loading a new larger image ...
Are there other, better ways?

I fiddled around a lot with the "enlarge.js" code ( http://www.anyvet.de/enlarge.js ) but am at the end of what i can do.

Finally,
i would like to open the "enlarged" images in a window that stays open
and still allows to display the next or selected image.
I thought that to be easy :-|
It is not - at least not for me.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanx already!