[Javascript] Alternative ways to "popup" images?

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Sat May 15 02:39:41 CDT 2010

>pop-up windows simply don't work in an increasing
>number of situations.
>On PCs, all newer browsers have a pop-up
>blocker available.

Point of information: The pop-up windows that
modern browsers block are for the most part those
that are spawned without being requested by a
direct action of the user. If you click on a link
that executes a function that opens a new window,
that's not considered an unfriendly pop-up. In
contrast, if a website spawns additional windows
when you load or unload a page, those are treated
as unrequested and are blockable.

Therefore the larger-image windows that
forwebonly's page opens are treated as
permissible child windows in this context and are
not blocked. I've tested this by running his page
in both Firefox and IE8 with pop-ups blocked, with no change in functionality.
__________________________

Mozilla > Firefox Support > Knowledge Base > Pop-up blocker

"Is the pop-up shown after a mouse click or a key press?

"Certain events, such as clicking or pressing a
key, can spawn pop-ups regardless of if the
pop-up blocker is on. This is so that Firefox
doesn't block pop-ups that websites need to work."

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Pop-up+blocker?style_mode=inproduct
__________________________

Using Windows XP > Web Browsing and E-mail >
Block Pop-up Windows with Internet Explorer

"Many legitimate advertisers on the Internet use
windows that pop up in the middle of your screen
to display a message. They might also open when
you click a link or button on a Web site, and
they might open either over or under the window
you wish to view. Some pop-ups are helpful. For
example, if you click an image to see a larger
version, it might open in a pop-up window."
"Some windows are not blocked: Pop-up Blocker is
smart enough to not block pop-up windows that you
open deliberately by clicking a link—for example,
if you were on a travel reservation site and you
clicked a link to open a pop-up window containing
your confirmation details, this pop-up window
would not be blocked because you opened it intentionally."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx

Regards,

Paul