[Javascript] Alternative ways to "popup" images?

David Hucklesby hucklesby at gmail.com
Sat May 15 12:05:02 CDT 2010

On 5/15/10 12:39 AM, Paul Novitski wrote:

>> pop-up windows simply don't work in an increasing
>> number of situations.
>> On PCs, all newer browsers have a pop-up
>> blocker available.
>

> Point of information: The pop-up windows that modern browsers block are
> for the most part those that are spawned without being requested by a
> direct action of the user. If you click on a link that executes a
> function that opens a new window, that's not considered an unfriendly
> pop-up. In contrast, if a website spawns additional windows when you
> load or unload a page, those are treated as unrequested and are blockable.
>
> Therefore the larger-image windows that forwebonly's page opens are
> treated as permissible child windows in this context and are not
> blocked. I've tested this by running his page in both Firefox and IE8
> with pop-ups blocked, with no change in functionality.
> __________________________
>
> Mozilla > Firefox Support > Knowledge Base > Pop-up blocker
>
> "Is the pop-up shown after a mouse click or a key press?
>
> "Certain events, such as clicking or pressing a key, can spawn pop-ups
> regardless of if the pop-up blocker is on. This is so that Firefox
> doesn't block pop-ups that websites need to work."
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Pop-up+blocker?style_mode=inproduct
> __________________________
>
> Using Windows XP > Web Browsing and E-mail > Block Pop-up Windows with
> Internet Explorer
>
> "Many legitimate advertisers on the Internet use windows that pop up in
> the middle of your screen to display a message. They might also open
> when you click a link or button on a Web site, and they might open
> either over or under the window you wish to view. Some pop-ups are
> helpful. For example, if you click an image to see a larger version, it
> might open in a pop-up window."
> "Some windows are not blocked: Pop-up Blocker is smart enough to not
> block pop-up windows that you open deliberately by clicking a link�for
> example, if you were on a travel reservation site and you clicked a link
> to open a pop-up window containing your confirmation details, this
> pop-up window would not be blocked because you opened it intentionally."
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx

Thank you, Paul. That's most informative.

My browser of choice is Opera, which is a bit more aggressive-- although
it does notify that a pop-up was attempted. Sadly, I can't bring up the
enlarged picture from the context menu...

Oh - and I missed seeing the pop-up on Firefox, as I have it set not to
allow scripts to resize windows. The pop-up was too small to notice the
first time around. That may not be an issue for most people though.

Cordially,
David