[Sysadmin] Mirroring/ hosting

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Jul 14 06:57:31 CDT 2003

Chris Evans wrote:
> William Anderson wrote:
> > chris wrote:
> >
> > > I could host a mirror or possibly the main browsers.evolt.org.
> > > We're on a 400 gig/month box that we're not even going to come close
> > > to using.
> >

> > rawk - talk to me about it :)
> >
> So what do we need to do to get started?  I'd like to ease into it, so
> I'm sure my box can handle the extra load without killing the existing
> sites.

hey Chris,

sorry I didn't get back to you on this, your reply got lost in a sea of spam
evil for some reason ;)

OK, basically the easiest way to mirror beo for us is rsync the archive and
host it somewhere static.  That's it.  Please read this mail I sent out
literally a few minutes ago:

  http://lists.evolt.org/sysadminarchive/2003-July/000733.html

- that should give you a quick update of where we are and how to grab the
archive, and also some important info wrt mirroring us.

You'll obviously need to take a full rsync of the archive to start with,
then rsync should take care of incremental updates - we wouldn't expect you
to rsync more often than daily.

I notice fuseware.com is hosted by rackshack, probably in the same colo as
the evolt.org.uk raq (which hosts beo) - i think it might be prudent for us
to ask rackshack if intracolo bandwidth counts towards the metered bandwidth
allowance :)

Anyway, let me know how you get on :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like