[Sysadmin] RE: [steering] Migration

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sun Mar 2 17:15:05 CST 2003

martin,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Martin Burns
>
> iow, discuss the details in sysadmin & desdev and bring
> a worked out proposal back here for rubber stamp.
> Steering should not sleepwalk into the old admin and
> take over their roles.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

in case you hadn't noticed, we have 4 weeks to get everything ported and
moved.  that doesn't leave time for either discussion, proposal writing, or
rubberstamping.  we're all in agreement that we need to resolve the current
crisis, so let's cut that chatter and get to things that matter.  we barely
have time to port, upgrade, and test before the window closes.  let's not
miss it.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> <finance rep> Please supply details of and costings for
> your proposed win2k/mssql based host, or I doubt budget
> will be forthcoming. Bear in mind that rackshack is the
> current benchmark - $100 a month plus taxes and a solid
> setup that isn't dependent on owner goodwill.
> </finance rep>
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

rackshack is *your* current benchmark.  unless they offer cf/win2k/mssql
hosting, they're outta the picture entirely with regard to weo/teo.

now, i've stated numerous times that there are plenty of hosts out there
that offer cf/win2k/mssql in the bandwidth range we need for weo/teo for
about $100/month.  additionally, i have equipment and bandwidth capable of
handling the load weo will need.  i have a friend with a nearly identical
setup that is willing to host teo if there's concern about having it all on
the same box.  i can't speak for him, but i can say i'm willing to take on
weo (and teo), even if only for the short term, while we get the necessary
monthly income to fund the $100/month it'll cost for weo.  if everyone is
happy with the service, i'm willing to continue hosting weo (or both) for
the same $100/month it'd cost anywhere else.  the difference you'll get with
me is i'm available by mobile phone 24/7, i'm only a 10 minute drive from
the server room (to which i have a key), and i own the box which means we'll
be able to do more on the box (if necessary) than if we were in a shared
environment.

i've been discussing shared hosting with a host that would be willing to
offer us hosting for weo/teo at a discount.  it'd be on a box in a very
large datacenter, with multiple, super fat pipes (oc48) and years of hosting
experience.  if necessary, the site could go on one of their dedicated
boxes, but billed as a shared plan because of my relationship with the host.
this would give us greater access to configurations on the box than if we
were on shared hosting only.

the rest of the sites can go on a rackshack/linux box and continue doing
what they've always done (with the noted exceptions dean made).

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/