[Sysadmin] archives

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Mar 31 14:00:41 CST 2003

Well, I've been at it for about 9 hours today
so far.

Thelist archives, I believe, are now fixed.  The
source materials directories were a complete
mess. The problems originated during 2000-2001
as far as I can tell - nothing in the last 18
months was wrong but the appearance of what
some folks on #evolt suggest might be detritus
from an attempt to DB-ize the archives back then
was preventing Pipermail from generating the
main index.

Anyway.  That's working.  w000.  etc.

Thechat's archives are screwed in a different
way.  Looks like malformed messages from Martin's
old PwC extranet account are to blame for a
similar traceback dump (though obviously not
nearly as much to blame as Pipermail itself,
which just sucks).  Of course in about 20 mins
I'll discover that's not true either (every
new attempt to regenerate the archive takes
about 40 minutes).

Overall it seems sensible to move the months-old
Mailman install of 2.1b5 to 2.1.1final since the
addition of the evolt lists has introduced many
more bugs/probs than css-d on its own ever
managed.

If anyone fancies lending a hand, I'm not about
to turn it down:  like Dean, I'm of the opinion
that this is rather a larger job than the too-small
team we've had on it this far should (or maybe
even can) handle in a reasonable timeframe.  I've
got paid work, illness and a breakup to deal with
here at the moment.

jh
john at evolt.org.uk