[Sysadmin] [ronr at linuxdude.com: bounces]

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sun Dec 5 02:16:08 CST 2004

William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:

> David Kaufman wrote:
>> ... I've have all of my domains on EveryDNS for
>> over a year and have been 100% satisfied with the top-notch service
>> David runs there.  Is there some configuration option you can't do
>> through the EveryDNS.net web interface?
>
> I think we need to have local multiple-hands control over our DNS.

Don't we?  EveryDNS has a web interface.  Don't we have a login?  If
not, then we should.  As I mentioned in my post I have a great,
easy-to-use web interface to manage the DNS for all my domains on
EveryDNS.  I can edit zone files by hand, and configure tinydns data
files too, but when you gotta make a change fast, I've found DavidU's
web-based front-end hard to beat.

So, just to confirm, is the problem that we have evolt DNS pointed at
EveryDNS, a fantastic web-based DNS editor, but then we rely on David U.
alone to manually make any changes for us?  If so, perhaps we can get
him to throw us a username and password to the uber-cool DNS control
panel, so that the next time we wanna setup a newthing.evolt.org in the
middle of the night we can, and need neither wake up DavidU nor set up a
DNS server to do it...

> Having everydns slave off bind running on tempest and serve out as
> our pri/sec is fine by me as long as changes don't take too long to
> refresh out.  Can we get this set up asap then?  If so, that would
> rawk.  Sorry all for the snafus.

If we make EveryDNS a secondary to our own name server, then the
refreshes will occur hourly (on the hour).

Hey, I'm a control freak just like every other sysadmin.  I'd rather run
my own name server than use someone else's web interface and wait around
for an hour, too!  Only thing is... I despise bind.  If I were running
it, it wouldbe dbjdns ...and not I, DavidU, William nor no one else
should be (nor wants to be) the single point of bottleneck for evolt, so
I can live with web-based access to really reliable dns servers that
Just Work...

-dave