[Sysadmin] Come on then... decision time

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Fri Jul 2 09:18:08 CDT 2004

1.  Qmail+vpopmail+mysql
    Pro:  simple to migrate our stuff
    Pro:  bitchin' fast, no need for relays (proved)
    Pro:  has never *ever* had a security hole
    Con:  several of us find it annoying to admin

2.  Postfix
    Pro:  Debian packages
    Pro:  Familiar to many of us
    Con:  Untried (by us) at our volume

3.  Sendmail
    Con:  Sucks arse in every way imaginable

4.  Exim
    Pro:  Debian default
    Con:  Only neuro out of us uses it (afaik)

Other considerations:

If we bring Eric Meyer with us we not only need to warn him about
it but we also need virtual domain support.  I have NFI how well
that works with the alternatives (save 1, obviously, cos I put the
current system in) though I uderstand vpopmail works with postfix.

Vote early, vote often.  I'd like to get this done this weekend.

jh