[Sysadmin] Come on then... decision time

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Jul 2 13:26:49 CDT 2004

John Handelaar wrote:

> 1.  Qmail+vpopmail+mysql
> 2.  Postfix
> 3.  Sendmail
> 4.  Exim

I'll cast a vote for option 1, mostly because its the one I've set up
before. It is a bit of a beast to admin though, I'll admit. I've looked
at Postfix before and it seemed quite nice and I'd be happy to learn it.
Same goes for Exim. Sendmail, of course, is devil spawn and makes about
as much sense as installing Telnet so we have a big "Kick Me" sign on
the box.

I did a bit of poking around and should it come down to Postfix vs.
Exim, I'm liking what I see in the Postfix documentation a bit better I
think.

As for load handling, it looks like Qmail, Postfix, and Exim could all
handle to load on that hardware we are giving it.

Slightly old benchmark comparison:
http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/postfix/bench2.html

Judah