[Sysadmin] Spec'ing Server

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jun 3 09:57:10 CDT 2004

hi Judah!

Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com> wrote:

> [...] I think it would
> behoove us to ask ServerMatrix how easy it is to upgrade from one plan
> to another. Given that prices keep dropping and hardware speed
> increases, if there is a quick easy upgrade path to switch plans, it
> might make sense to start small and then migrate as necessary.

i think i did the opposite when i spoke to a sales rep at ServerMatrix: i
asked for a discount if we prepaid a year, essentially locking us into a
configuration.

fortunately my request was denied, as i was advised that "all of
ServerMatrix's accounts have month-to-month payment terms".  so, WRT to
upgrading, it would see to me that we can, could and should simply upgrade
the box at any time we please by merely

  1) renting new box for a one-month overlap
  2) migrating everything to new box in < 30 days
  3) canceling old box before new charges are incurred

also, as i posted on the theforum just now, *two* boxes might not be out of
the question, if monthly rates in "the matrix" continue to tumble :-)

-dave