[Sysadmin] Spec'ing Server

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 3 09:30:59 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:06:53PM -0700, Judah McAuley wrote:
> Dean Mah wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I think that we should spec out a couple of servers.
> >
> >1) In case that we just move l.e.o, d.e.o, and b.e.o to ServerMatrix.
> >
> >2) In case that we integrate w.e.o on l.e.o.
>
> I'll take a look and put in my 2 cents, however, I think it would
> behoove us to ask ServerMatrix how easy it is to upgrade from one plan
> to another. Given that prices keep dropping and hardware speed
> increases, if there is a quick easy upgrade path to switch plans, it
> might make sense to start small and then migrate as necessary. The
> salient point would be to include that in our planning, so we do a roll
> out with an eye towards easy migration.

Makes sense.  I'll check with David to get the talks with ServerMatrix
going.

My feeling is that we should go with the minimum requirement
immediately.  The traditional speed with which changes have been made
make me think that the w.e.o integration could take awhile and there's
no point paying for the bigger box while we wait.

As well, it might be useful to know what sort of CMS that we are going
to, if at all.  The size of the box will depend on how resource heavy
it is.

Dean