[Sysadmin] Migrating to ServerMatrix

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Jun 18 19:38:05 CDT 2004

William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> Dean Mah wrote:
>> With the decision of what to get settled, I think that we should get
>> ready for how to get it there.  Let's start with a list of software
>> that we need to install and any lessons learned from the previous
>> migration.  I think sysadmin feels most comfortable with supporting
>> Debian so we can skip the O/S consideration.
>
> I've just done a qmail+mailman install on a woody box, which was
> evil, but I'm up the learning curve on it :)  I also have a vaguely
> sensible build script for Apache if we go that route, but I'd suggest
> we go for Debian 3.0 woody with key backported packages from
> backports.org, unless performance demands we recompile packages for
> fuller optimisation.

+1 on debian stable (woody)

+1 on any backports.org we *need*

what do you mean by "if we go that route", WRT Apache?  isn't apache a must
for the l.e.o. archives?  or did you mean, if we go the compile-from-source
route, as opposed to an apt package?

if so, i'd lean strongly toward the packaged apache, since we can then
benefit from security.debian.org apt-gettable updates.

-dave