[Sysadmin] Migrating to ServerMatrix

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Jun 19 07:11:27 CDT 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> [snip]
>
> +1 on any backports.org we *need*

Oh totally, I didn't mean a blanket coverage from backports, just key stuff
that works better with the more recent versions of packages.  I tend to
backport stuff like spamassassin, mtr, iptraf and the like.

> what do you mean by "if we go that route", WRT Apache?  isn't apache a must
> for the l.e.o. archives?  or did you mean, if we go the compile-from-source
> route, as opposed to an apt package?

The latter :)

> if so, i'd lean strongly toward the packaged apache, since we can then
> benefit from security.debian.org apt-gettable updates.

I favour compilation, as it means we can build Apache *exactly* the way we
want, and with a properly managed build script (which I have something
approaching) then upgrades/updates are a scoosh.  I upgraded from 1.3.29
with old open/modssl/php4 to the latest version in the time it took to
compile, which on a P4 was only a couple of minutes.

I'll try out the build script once I get shell + sudo access to the box.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him