[Sysadmin] Migrating to ServerMatrix

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Sat Jun 19 10:36:33 CDT 2004

On Jun 19, 2004, at 8:15 AM, William Anderson wrote:

> I've never had a problem with meeting dependencies in over a year of
> running a self-compiled apache+php+mod_ssl.

Cool...what happens when you do apt-get install cacti or phpmyadmin or
smokeping?  They'll tell you that you don't have apache
installed...right?  Equivs solves this cleanly.  Same with qmail.  How
do you remove exim from debian while still providing
mail-transport-agent?  /usr/share/doc/equivs/examples has a specific
example for the qmail/exim issue. (otherwise apt-get install mutt would
fail, etc, etc.)

>> Also, regarding backports, I meant that I dislike backports packaged
>> by others...
>
> Whereas I've found the packages from backports.org are well done and
> work well.  Like I said, I didn't say "let's use them for everything",
> just key packages here and there that are particularly antiquated in
> woody.

There's no consistency in backports and updating them.  At least when
you roll your own backports you know how you did it and can redo it in
a pinch.

Either way, it's just two different styles, both will work to some
extent. :)

No need for a group of smart people to get pedantic on specifics so
I'll shut up now.

-davidu