VOTE! was RE: Alternative suggestion: was RE: [Sysadmin] Migrating to ServerMatrix

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Sun Jun 20 19:26:28 CDT 2004

Mike King wrote:
> Is this going to come to a vote?
>
> 1. Qmail
> 2. Postfix
> 3. Exim

i have worked with each but am most comfortable with, and prefer in this
order,

1. Postfix
2. Qmail
2. Exim

but like i said, i have no very strong preference of one over the other.
i used to be one of those qmail zealots, but that was when my MTA of
choice was simply: anything but sendmail :-)

since postfix and exim have arrived on the scene offering many qmail
work-alike features in software that's GPL licensed, actively maintained
and developed, i've switched to them just to deliver me from
patch-maintenance hell.  patches should be for quick *temporary*
bug-fixes, not full blown features and add-on packages that live for
years :-)

there are certainly times when exim is not enough - high-volume spam and
virus filtering for instance.  postfix has met every need i've thrown at
it so far (which has consisted of: Maildir delivery, piping incoming
mail to perl scripts for processing -- maildrop for regex-based
procmail-like message filtering on headers, message size, etc.), but i
haven't run a mailing list on it, so i wouldn't be surprised if you Just
Plain Need qmail to do l.e.o.'s lists right.

-dave