[Sysadmin] [theforum] evolt dns: bad mx

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Sep 11 16:53:24 CDT 2016

OK troops,

as part of a phased transition (and with some new hostnames added for
good measure), postel (the primary name server in Singapore) is now
the canonical primary master name server, as far as us making changes
on is concerned.  tron and cerf (the mail server and secondary NS in
NYC) are slaves of postel.  cerf doesn't automatically update yet,
because it's not officially "ns1" yet, so it doesn't get notified by
postel of changes.  running rndc refresh evolt.org on cerf will force
an axfr.

details:

postel.evolt.org 188.166.184.51 2400:6180:0:d0::e32:1001
cerf.evolt.org 198.199.71.69 2604:a880:400:d0::96e:1

note that postel's IP (188.166.184.51) is different from ns0's
(188.166.199.35) because ns0's is a "floating IP" mapped to postel.

In addition, the user accounts for dave, dean, john and myself have
been migrated to both postel and cerf, with sudo etc.  Mailman and
postfix are installed on cerf.  Postfix is already configured to
answer to lists.evolt.org and evolt.org.  Spamassassin isn't installed
yet due to memory concerns.  I haven't copied homedirs across since
/home on tron is ~26GiB, and postel/cerf only have 20GiB / partitions
(with about 15GiB free each).  If we need more disk space on cerf, we
can add it later ($0.10/mo/GiB).

I'm going to set up Apache/PHP on cerf to migrate some static stuff
from tron; if it's OK with everyone, I'll probably migrate beo
elsewhere, since there isn't room for the 12GiB of archive data.

Questions? :)

-n