[Sysadmin] [theforum] evolt dns: bad mx

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Sep 11 22:12:24 CDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm going to set up Apache/PHP on cerf to migrate some static stuff
> from tron; if it's OK with everyone, I'll probably migrate beo
> elsewhere, since there isn't room for the 12GiB of archive data.

OK, dir.evolt.org (which is really just a holding page) has been
migrated from tron to cerf, and switched to the new style template (I
even drilled into the wayback machine to get the right background
colour!).

browsers.evolt.org has just been migrated from tron to taylor (a new
machine I've set up in my own DO account in NYC1).  If you visit it
right now, you may hit tron, since the DNS will still be refreshing.
You can tell if you're hitting taylor, as I've put a full stop/period
at the very bottom of the browser list on the front page on taylor's
copy of the homepage.  There's a 1 hour TTL, so try again in an hour.

If you look at the list of active vhosts on tron:

beo, deo, leo, noc.evolt (defunct), planet.evolt (defunct), svn.evolt
(defunct), teo, wiki.evolt (defunct), www.evolt (migrated),
css-discuss

... then the only things we have left to do are lists and css-discuss,
then set up a backup strategy.  Maybe a cheap VM from a random East
Coast VM provider to rsync/rsnapshot to?

I've copied /local/apps/mailman from tron to /root/local-apps-mailman
on cerf so that there's a base to start building on (note that I've
ungzipped and bzip2'd the pre-adsense archives under archives/private
to save some space)

Everyone has accounts on postel, cerf and now taylor, but
realistically cerf is where the work needs to get done.  If anyone
logs in to do stuff, could you a) try to stick to installing kosher
ubuntu packages with apt-get rather than random tarballs if at all
possible, and b) log here what you've done.  Cheeeeeeers ;)

*bounce*

-n