[thechat] Money Slang

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Jun 1 12:48:51 CDT 2001

On 1 Jun 2001, at 19:38, Jesus G. Gorriti posted a message which said:

> a quid = a pound.
> a fiver = 5 pound bill
> a tenner = 10 pound bill

Somehow, I had it in the back of my mind that a pound sterling
was slightly more than a pound. Something like a pound was
12 shillings and a quid was 13, or it was 20 and 21 or something
like that. I would have picked up this from reading fiction decades
ago.

Of course, the pound sterling is now decimal. Did the meaning
of quid change, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

deke