[thechat] West v. East (was: civilized vs. uncivilized)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 26 18:54:46 CDT 2001

Ron:

><erika>
>Sorry, but I'm not a WWII scholar and I don't know enough about what
>was going on in Japan at that time to give an educated answer to your
>question.
></erika>
>
>Well I am and that you aren't is entirely obvious, since you once again read
>only bits and pieces of my post and skipped where I said that had the Allies
>had to invade Japan, MILLIONS of civilians would have died.

Because we were going to kill them or because the civilians were
going to blow themselves up trying to kill us?

Could you cite sources or provide supporting evidence when you make
claims like "MILLIONS of civilians would have died if..."  (at best,
that statement is an educated guess).

I always look for a creative solution.  I try not to see things in
black and white.  "Invade or drop the bomb."  An impossible conundrum
or a false dilemma?

Japan was already losing the war at that point...

And invasion would have been bad for everyone...

Why did we demand an _unconditional_ surrender from Japan?
... and meanwhile, turn around and give Stalin control of Eastern Europe?

><erika>
>To a large extent, the decision to go to war is
>made by any and every soldier who is willing to pick up a gun.
></erika>
>
>Defending one's home is a very noble and honorable choice to make. Or do you
>think Geromino, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull et al were just war mongers? I
>think they were great heroes!

I guess that depends on how you define "defending one's home."
Switzerland as I recall is a very militarized country.   How many
countries have they invaded?  How many bombs have they dropped?

Erika