Laphroaig (again), was: [thechat] weather in Ireland

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Wed Nov 14 09:48:13 CST 2001

There was an ooooooold promotion (cereal?  tv show?) that offered a
square inch of the Yukon territory.

[Ah! found it!  The Quaker Oats company offered them in the 50's as a
promotion for 'Sgt Preston of the Yukon'  {Gosh! Memory was pretty
close!}
http://collectibles.about.com/library/weekly/aa012100a.htm
Another crazy thing from Ohio!]

They sent out certificates - I think one of them turned up on the
Antiques Roadashow or something.

[Basically all the land had reverted back to the government since the
taxes weren't kept up ... but it was kinda neat - in an off-the-wall
kind of way.]

RonL.
(Who was cursed with beautiful dry sunny weather in his (so far) sole
sojourn to the UK.  Late September - {you'd a thunk it woulda been dank
and rainy, but noooo} - morning's definitely required sweaters - didn't
have one - bought one of those neat RAF style sweaters [in BRG] while I
was there - don't get much call to use it here in Houston! {Hey -
yesterday it was sooooo cold here - that I didn't run the A/C in my
truck at all!   :-)   }   FWIW, Edinburgh still gets my vote as one of
the most beautiful places in the world, though.)