Mines and minds and mimes (was Re: [thechat] IT is here!)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Wed Dec 5 12:22:52 CST 2001

Whoa!

Now THAT is supposed to be a very cool place! ... Used to be THE place
to be ... (may still be)  ... if you were into O.R. ... [Operations
Research -- kind of the intersection of business and wierd math.]

There was this REALLY eccentric bad ass, Gene Woolsey, that used to be
there. [Ooops! Looks like he's still there! My bad!]  Great speaker,
fabulous writer, and probably the 'coolest' consultant of all time!  [He
was pretty much my 'geek hero'... I'm a big fan!]

I still have copies of every one of his "fifth column" articles I could
get my hands on.

Here's one I could find on line ... it's a pdf - but it's a good read
... the guy has a GREAT attitude and cuts to the heart of technical
problems without using technology:

http://silmaril.smeal.psu.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?file=2_1_1979_9_2_8_12

Wish I could find an on-line copy of his article discussing the 'value
of life' ... which was needed as a variable for a fire appliance
dispatching model his team was working on ... it was hilarious!

RonL.
(... and the prestigious "Thunderbird" school isn't exactly a school for
winos either ...)