[thechat] punishment (was: [ugh])

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Jul 10 00:27:03 CDT 2002

Hi Erika (and all),

> Thanks, Javier.  I'm *really* happy about this decision of mine &
> proud of my child.

What an awesome discussion. Truly fascinating.

As the totally-enraptured dad of a four-month-old girl, there has
naturally been no small amount of discussion on the (future) issue
of discipline between myself and 'er upstairs.

We're both naturally of the "minimalistic" school of discipline, and I
find the idea of _no_ discipline very interesting indeed, and I'm
enthralled to know that it can actually work -- but DO let us know if your
daughter ends up a serial killer or a war criminal though, won't you
Erika?

I'll print these emails out for the semi-luddite at home, and I'm sure
we'll mull over them for some time. Very interesting topic, and very
interesting ideas.

I guess there is some semantic issues: the example of "getting up and
walking out of the movie theatre" can, I guess, be viewed as 'punishment',
albeit very light, so some might argue the "no punishment at all" wording:
but I see what you mean, and there is a big difference between something
done punitively and something done, as you put it, 'logically'.

Thanks all!

Paul

PS: My daughter, too, will kick ass.