[thechat] How to fill out UK job application forms - Round II

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Mon Sep 16 11:32:12 CDT 2002

Hi all,

Okay, I'm still working on this application...

There's a section where they've asked applicants to address all of the
points that they've got on their requirements for the job.  "Please use this
section to explain how your experience shows that you have the abilities to
do this job. We suggest that you give evidence about each of the items on
our person specification." On the online application form, there's big text
area that you've got to fill out.

So my question is, should this be a point form response to each
specification or should it be more like a cover letter, in paragraphs? Is
point form acceptable or not? Some of the points on their "Person
Specification" are very vague or difficult to respond to directly or give
"evidence of". So I'm not sure if I should respond to each of the points
that they've listed, or if I should do a paragraph-type response and address
some things in a more round-about way. BTW, there are 24 separate points on
the person specification to respond to.

You have all been so helpful about this, I'm flummoxed because I haven't
come across this style of application before, and I want to do it right,
'cause I *so* want the job.

Thanks in advance,
Tara