[thechat] US Elections

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 7 11:24:01 CST 2002

> From: "Tony Crockford" <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk>
[...]
> But isn't the definition of terrorist dependant on where you are
> standing?

often, yes... were the fighters in the american revolutionary war
considered 'terrorists' by the queen/king?  probably not with that
word, but certainly in concept...

> define freedom fighter for me, isn't he a terrorist if he's fighting
> against you and a freedom fighter if he's on your side?

yes and yes...

there are subtle differences...

a 'freedom fighter', IMO, shouldn't be blowing up noncombatants
(women, children, etc.), simply as a method to impart terror on the
general populace... a 'freedom fighter' should be fighting for freedom
*from* something, not a goal of inserting his/her own
worldview/beliefs/etc. onto others who are happy the way they
are... that fight *from* oppression is tricky, though... i don't think
we're busy oppressing certain fundamental religions, but then, they
think we are...

> Or am I too, being simplistic?

no, you're not... it's a thin line...

--