[thechat] Gee, that time again...

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Fri Dec 6 22:36:00 CST 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 12:01 AM 07-12-02, Erika Meyer wrote:
>
>> Christmas is a winter festival for northern latitudes. A festival of
>> light.  It's solstice. The winter's just kicking in, but the days
>> *are* going to get longer.  Winter can be dismal.  You need a party,
>> you need something to celebrate... and food.
>

> Ah, but not in the Southern Hemisphere. It's summer in Australia now. ;)

Yeah but you wouldn't know it if you lived in Melbourne. We've had
probably more rain this month than any other month of the year... which
all things considered, drought and all, isn't exactly bad.

Anyway, the benefit of living in the Southern Hemisphere is that you
have a proper excuse for two Christmas dinners each year.. one in July /
August to have what is a winter meal in, well, Winter, and the other on
the 25th December for 'tradition'.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/