[thechat] rationality is not enough (was: New Year's Resolution)

Ken Kogler kenkogler at kenkogler.com
Fri Jan 3 23:15:01 CST 2003

> If spiritual phenomena manifested themselves
> consistently and in some measurable way, we
> might actually be able to study them.

But then it'd be scientific, not spiritual, right?

> If the Lord stopped acting in "mysterious ways"
> (wats wit dat?) and just made an appearance to
> clear things up, it would be so much more helpful.

But then, arguably, that takes free will out of the picture... It could
be argued that the Lord is forcing himself on us, and then the gift of
salvation no longer becomes a gift, which means we don't have the
opportunity to reject it, which means we are no longer free.

Or, as Douglas Adams says, God could simply disappear in a puff of
logic.

Once again, we're better of talking about ham than religion. At least
we'd get somewhere in the ham conversation.

--Ken