[thechat] Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio .NET?

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 14:26:00 CST 2003

--- "kevin D. white" <kevination at suchsmallhands.com>
wrote:

> Try to do a decent global Search & Replace in VS 6
> and you'll run
> screaming to .NET. VS is a decent IDE, .NET is very
> good.

Thanks. I guess I oughta go with the latest and
greatest anyway, so I think I'll get .NET.

> Personally, I think your professor should make you
> start out with GCC
> and a text-editor. But that's probably just the
> cranky "old-school" talking.

Heh, I think so too, but if Boeing is going to pay
for a nice IDE I ain't gonna pass it up! I did take
a C class back in 95 or so and that was text editor
and gcc. Haven't touched C/C++/C# since. Most of what
I do now is Perl in vi or *cough* UltraEdit *cough*.

--- Ashok Hariharan <Ashok at MagicalKenya.com> wrote:

> dont use either of those.....
>
> If it is a beginners C++ course, I guess you wont
> be writing any windows specific programs (using the
> win32 API).
>
> In that case you can even make do with turbo c++
> 3.0 (yeah! a dos IDE).

When I signed up for the class I expected to use gcc,
vi, and *cough* UltraEdit *cough*, but again, it's not

my nickel so I'll get the nice one. Teach says we'll
be mostly doing console programs. There's a whole cert
program on windows programming. Not sure if I'm going
to pursue a cert or just take some classes. University

Extension Certs aren't worth the paper they're printed

on, are they?

Terry

PS - would homework questions be out of line here? :)