[thechat] b&w photography

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 16:26:00 CST 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 08:37  pm, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>> Like many auto-focus cameras (as opposed to fixed focus, as per many
>> consumer cameras), most of that is focus time. Half-depress the shutter
>> button to focus and then the full press to take the shot is pretty
>> quick
>
> Uh, is there a trick to making that work with moving targets?

Work out the trajectory and focus on something the target will pass.

Or use a camera with a manual focus.

Same deal with auto-focus 'real film' cameras unless they have very,
very fast focusing motors (eg the Canon USM ones). Many SLRs with
autofocus have a 'sports' mode whereby the camera will take shots as
best it can, without waiting for the autofocus to lock. Take enough
shots and you'll get something good enough.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,