[thechat] Presentation of food

Andrew Forsberg andrew at uber.net.nz
Fri Jan 31 04:06:01 CST 2003

>> Hang on - is that on the bill, so a service charge rather than a tip?
>> Do
>> they expect a tip as well?
>
> If there's a service charge, I don't leave a tip. Simple. A tip *is*
> supposed to be the service charge.

My favourite is when the eftpos transaction comes up and the first
thing you see is 'service fee'. I mean, honestly, tips are meant to
either go into the serving staff's pockets, or, better yet, get stored
in some jar or other so it's shared amongst the chefs, kitchen staff,
and waiters to get shit-faced with the next friday night. Service fees
ought NOT to get direct-credited to the owners. Grrr.

[still consider my student dishwashing days as some of my best -- tips
were shared, nice... and it was appreciated]