[thechat] Welcome to the Free World and have a nice day!

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Mar 26 15:59:42 CST 2003

At 03:17 AM 27-03-03, Erika Meyer wrote:

>BTW, my daughter went to a Ananda Margda Hindu-ish pre-school

Why that one of all?

>Apparently someone told her that in India, people don't eat meat...

Yes, it's true. We also drive elephants to work. More fuel-efficient
apparently.

But seriously, I think some 40% of the population is vegetarian, mostly the
"Brahmins" or so-called upper caste, whose traditional role was that of
temple priests. Also, poorer people (of which we have enough) can't afford
to but meat and become veggos through poverty.

Amongst the Hindus, the North-Indian Hindus consider the cow holy and won't
consume beef. In southern India, where I live, people are far more
adventurous.

I am, thankfully, both an atheist and a die-hard carnivore.

Madhu