Thailand (was Re: [thechat] "Eight Miles High" (was Re: Gotta new Mac - now what?))

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 08:11:27 CST 2003

On 10 Dec 2003, at 10:19, Drew Shiel wrote:

> At 03:57 09/12/2003 -0500, noah wrote:
>
>> I hadn't seen that news item before, but it doesn't surprise me. In
>> Thai culture, it is considered very bad manners to show disrespect
>> toward anyone, particularly toward your elders or superiors. Since
>> there's no one superior to the king, to disrespect him is just about
>> the worst thing you can possibly do.
>
>   Has "democracy" been ingrained so deeply in America that they can't
> comprehend any other system of government? I mean, surely it was
> reasonably obvious that any kind of mocking portrayal of a ruling
> monarch is going to be trouble?

And perhaps more tellingly, there seems to be a problem comprehending
any other *form* of 'democracy' than that practised in the US (ie the
government pretends that it's run by its people (demos), rather than by
its corporations).

Cheers
Martin
--
Now playing on iTunes: "Unchained Melody" by U2 from 'B-Sides
1980-1990' - a hit from way back in 1989