[thechat] OT - Cuz nobody's yakking ON-topic

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Thu May 20 10:38:57 CDT 2004

Hi Gang,

The terminally h-ware illiterate one here has a few techie questions
(blind helping the blind here - my brother in law's laptop has a few
issues I'm trying to help with):

(1) When an external mouse is plugged in, sometimes the cursor just
... kinda ... meanders off ... by itself ... and can be a very tough
little doogie to rope back in. (My first guess is some kind of
interrupt conflict between the external mouse and that built-in
fingernail scrolly pad thing ... but I don't know how to correct
it.) [My second guess is a problem with the physical port the
external mouse is plugged into.] {My third guess is a dying video
card.} <My fourth guess is interstellar pirates [Arrrrrr] scanning
our world for booty bounty one laptop at a time!>

Any other ideas there? ... No, I mean 'helpful' ideas!

(2) Periodically he gets an "iexplore kernal32.dll" error. How can
I correct that? (No, we're not gonna wipe the drive and load debian.)
What else can we do?

Thanks!

Hmmmm ... how to 'tip' for an off topic post on a non-tech list
without pointing out that neat court ruling against Neiman Marcus
the other day for trying to steal the 'neimancarcass.com' domain
name from the anti-fur folks ... although that *was* pretty cool:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/19/fur_domain_ruled_ok/

Well, let's see ... oh, my wife's "lets get your old crap out of here"
campaign is picking up steam ... we've got some new bedroom furniture
on order - so we need to make some room ... and that room is currently
taken up with my old crap.

Here's a 'stock' shot I swiped of one pieces coming in:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Photo/Fancy%20Chest.jpg

Gee ... mahogany dresser ... walnut inlays ... classy fancy curved
front styling ... I say it's just the perfect thing for storing my
old "I work out at Old Doc McCoy's ... HE'S DEAD GYM!" t-shirt!

;-)

[I'm concerned ... when I ask if these fancy dressers mean I have to
dress better ... I just get one of those 'Mona Lisa' smile things
as an answer ... Hmmmm ... I'm beginning to suspect that means *my*
clothes will be coming out of trash bags tucked away in the closet!
Oh well.]

We found some local folks who need some furniture ... some are just
starting households ... some are starting over ... so we're gonna
give them first shot at the old junk ... Rats! ... I left most of
the pictures at home ...

Ah, Okay ... I *do* have a shot or two of my infamous old
'Martian Bordello Mood Lamp':
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/eBay/New/Lamp_5.jpg

No frat house is complete without one!  Actually the shades are
individual panes of very nice purple stained glass, hand set
(I think) in these little brass miniature versions of 60's gogo
dancer cages:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/eBay/New/Lamp_2.jpg

You only get that 'redlight' look when it's lit up.

RonL.