[thechat] Games Consoles

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Wed Sep 29 09:30:56 CDT 2004

On 29-Sep-04, at 5:35 AM, William Anderson wrote:

> I'm replying to this with a fresh message and a different subject line
> to get it out of the Evolt camera thread :)

Me too!

Sabrina wrote:
> o, someone please talk to me about game console systems?
>
> Basically, I want one :) And we've reached that really critical
> junction
> in our relationship where, having left all our exes with all the good
> stuff, we have to now decide if it should be a PS2 or an Xbox.

William compared the two for you and I pretty much agree with him. So I
thought I'd give you my first-hand experience.

We have a PS2 and I *love* it. I play games all the time with my hubby
and there's often games that have elements that we both like that we
play together (and that I beat his ASS in. Mwah ha ha ha ha!).

'Course I'm a bit weird for a girl (at least that's the popular
perception of female preferences - YMMV) in that I do like good
first-person-shooters and have no problem with high levels of violence
- if the game is good. Pointless stupid violence in a crappy game just
sucks. Most of all I like games where there are different things to do
- some exploring, maybe some puzzles, maybe some strategy, and some
shooting. GTA Vice City was good :-)

--
Aside:  we *still* haven't finished GTA since my hubby refuses to buy
it *and* refuses to rent it again "because we're so close to being

You should have asked to try out our PS2 while you were here! We would
have happily spent a night playing games :-) Yee haw!

A few games that we both liked...

Silent Hill 2, Max Payne (1 and 2), GTA, GTA Vice City, Red Dead
Revolver, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness (come to think of it the
controls really sucked - but it was still fun), Spiderman, Splinter
Cell Pandora Tomorrow (Dave played the first one - I was too busy)

Dave also really liked NHL 2004 (I don't like hockey. I know - how
un-Canadian of me), Metal Gear Solid and Ghost Recon.

On the Xbox I (and a bunch of guys) played this awesome car crash game.
The object of which was to cause the most damage possible in different
car crash settings. We spent *hours* crashing trucks, buses, cars,
motorcycles, everything and then watching it all happen in slo-mo over
and over again. It was cool. :-D

The Xbox has a hard drive and the PS2 doesn't - which I guess makes a
difference if you're gonna fiddle with it and do all those fancy
gamer-geeky things with it.

Since there's a new Playstation coming out and price is a concern - why
not wait until the PS3 (or whatever it's called) comes out and the
prices drop. I'd just read up on *when* it's coming out and see if you
can hang on for long enough.

--
--

Don't bother. It's way more fun to get games that you *haven't* already
played. I'm guessing you can rent games somewhere in the UK. That's

My 2 cents,
Tara

--
Tara Cleveland