[thechat] Road Trip in US

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Feb 25 08:37:56 CST 2005

David Wagner suggested:

>>If I ever travel to Wisconsin again, I'll go to the House on the Rock.

Hi David,

Whoa! Neat! Looks like an interesting place!

(Gee! - Beats my Cheese-head suggestion all to heck ... I was gonna
offer
up Bloomer, Wisconsin: "The Jump Rope Capital of the World!" as being
kinda
in the neighborhood - but I'm not sure its interesting enough to drive
100
miles out of the way for!)

IIRC, Wisconsin was the last US State to build an InterState highway.
Soooooo, back in the day, if you drove through Wisconsin ... you drove
through a bazillion small towns like Black River Falls, Osseo, Baraboo,
Chippewa Falls, Rice Lake, Spooner, Minong, ... (each with one traffic
light and one Dairy Queen). It was like turning back the clock. The vibe

was very 50's.

This had it's pluses and minuses. On the 'up' side, a number of these
small towns featured the kind of 'cheesy' (sorry, couldn't resist)
road-side attractions that you pretty much only see in nostalgia books
these days. Some of those may still be around -- if you like that kind
of thing.

On the down side, however, the secondary roads didn't offer much in the
way of passing, so you often 'got stuck' (day or night) driving behind
a large convoy of slow moving Winnebagos.  ;-(

Hey Roger, it takes you a 'scosh' out of your way ... but it might be
fun
to take 'the long way' back ... scoot over through Menominee Falls and
Escanaba, up thru Manistique, and then down to the Michigan U.P. through

the Straits of Mackinaw ... that's supposed to be an *extremely* pretty
drive.  [Either 'coast' of the mitten should be neat ... Presque Isle on

the East ... Traverse City on the West.]

(I'd like to do that in the fall some time.)

http://www.50states.com/facts/wisconsin.htm

HTH,

RonL.