[thechat] Job and Airline stories - wuz - RE: suntan lotion, water, and shampoo (oh my)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Aug 11 08:36:36 CDT 2006

Joel Canfield noted:

>>I got to spend some quality face time with the head of security at San
Diego int'l, who
>>eventually joked that he wished he'd been conducting a class, 'cause I
was in the process
>>of violating virtually every possible rule about what you can carry on
an airplane .

Heh.  Mine wasn't quite so bad.  I was flying out of Vegas and the
security x-ray could
not see all the way through my fanny pack. They asked if they could hand
inspect the
bag.  No problem.  The security gal goes to pick up the bag and suddenly
realizes it
weighs about 40 pounds.  "Whattya got in this thing? Rocks?" ... Well,
as a matter of
fact ... ;-)

I had been hiking up in the hills in Utah and Arizona and Ooooooo!
Shiny! picking up
interesting rocks along the way.  I got some great looks for that.  I
think
they were glad to get rid of me.

>>in other news, they just announced that the company I'm working for is
shutting down.
>>might have a job as long as end of year, but probably just until
October 10.

Ah Man!  I'm very sorry to hear that Joel.  I hope you find something
very cool very quickly!

[Dude!  We have *got* to turn this 'twin karma' thing around!  How bout
you win the
Cali lottery this week and I'll win the Texas next week?  K?]

I didn't say anything, but while I was out of the office last month, HP
decided to
eliminate my entire department.  Of the 15 folks in my work group it
looks like 10
will be let go.  I 'think' I have been sold into IT slavery and tagged
as one of
the keepers - but nothing has been formally announced yet.  I'm sending
out resumes,
but I don't really have the energy to be the enthusiastic new guy right
now.  ;-(

Somewhere, somebody is having *my* fun ... and when I find them ... Pow!
Zoom! To the moon!

RonL.