[thesite] Re: [Admin] alternate color schemes

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Sat Jan 20 22:49:31 CST 2001

> so all we need is another column
>
>    FAV   NUMBER(1)
>
> then upon login, the query just chooses the user's scheme for the session
> by picking one at random from all the ones where FAV=1
>
> that way, if i have one that i consistently want to see, i would only have
> one marked as a favourite (cool, eh?)

way cool.

> i leave it as an exercise for you Usability students to decide how to
> arrange things so that something intelligent happens if a user defines a
> bunch of schemes but designates them all with FAV=0

If the query doesn't find a FAV=1, then it loads the first SCHEMEID in the
user's column, would be my vote. Don't ask me to write the query, tho'. :)

> however, we are currently showing a static html home page, nicht wahr?
>
> shurely we can apply the same kind of thinking to have a "default" scheme
> (something along the lines of an external css file, right?) where the
> choice about what goes into the default css file is altered as often as we
> currently alter the current static home page (how *does* that happen,
> anyway?)

 From a usability and branding standpoint, I think that would be a bad idea.
Consistency is very important on the homepage. Defining different defaults
for browsesers.evolt and lists.evolt makes sense because they're literally
different sites, but I think randomly changing the color scheme of the
primary site would be disorienting. Does that make sense?

David