[thelist] cryptic question

Jeff jeff at lists.evolt.org
Tue Oct 3 12:45:05 CDT 2000

: From: Eduardo Dominguez <lalo_dominguez at yahoo.com>
: The thing is, how can I keep even the salt number secret.
: The prizes we are giving in our internal game are juicy and
: we everyone to participate. This code is in CVS so anyone
: can see the salt number.  Its in PHP.

i think you're misunderstanding something.  there is no such thing is
unhash.  once you hash something, it stays that way.  so, even if they knew
the salt, there's no way for them to unhash all the figures in the database.
they'd first have to write something that would hash their guess with the
known salt and compare that to the hashed values in the database - not an
easy task and one that no one is likely to attempt.

good luck,

mailto:jeff at members.evolt.org