[thelist] bizarre inquiry

Guido Fuortes guido at twomany.com
Tue Mar 13 01:13:53 CST 2001

In my website (an alpha-release), a javascript serves automatically the
Flash-of-the-day .swf file to its visitors. Main advantage: I don't have
to change manually the link on a day-by-day basis. Secondary advantage:
both Fidel and Arafat will get the right movie on their screens, even if
the difference between their countries is a 9 hours gap, and they can
have a different date. Main drawback? An obvious one: If the Pope doesn't
have his computer with the right date, he won't see anything, even if he
has the right browser with javascript enabled.

I don't see many reason for someone to have the internal clock of his/her
computer with a wrong date (when I was young, I've been using that ruse
from time to time, to be able to use an expired piece of software, but
actual OS are smarter than years ago). Does any of you can give me good
reason to have the wrong date/hour set in the computer? I give another
one: somebody travelling with his/her laptop from Duluth, Minnesota, to
Siena, Italy, and not bothering to sinchronize the computer clock with
local time.

Please, give me more reasons, in order to be able to evaluate the risk
I'm taking. If you consider this post too stupid or too OT, please reply
privately.

Sorry for those reading this message twice (it has been sent to two
different lists). Thanks to all contributors,

guido fuortes