[thelist] JSP vs ASP vs PHP

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon Mar 19 15:14:32 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Paul Dewey wrote:

> become a member to thelist I have heard some about PHP.  Can someone out
> there give me the load down on the differences and the similarities to JSP,
> ASP and PHP.  Please!

I'll take this chance to speak for PHP:

Ideal platform:  Apache on Unix-based OS
          Cost:  Free
   Connects To:  MySQL, PostgreSQL, and a whole s***load.5 more
          Pros:  Easy to learn, rich in features
          Cons:  Difficult to optimize for enterprise-level apps

Let me elaborate on that last one:  PHP is not, based on experience and
conventional wisdom, the best language out there if you're looking to
build an app for many thousands of simultaneous users.  Further, DB
transaction reliability leaves something to be desired, if you're
looking for LOTS of it.  Apart from that, it's an excellent tool for
anything you might hope to put it to.

HTH
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large
persist1 at io.com

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."
"We will disguise ourselves as a cow."
"Oh!" (giggles) "That was it exactly!"