[thelist] Site Testing Procedures

Lischke, Katherine L. klischke at logicon.com
Tue Mar 20 13:47:30 CST 2001

Here's what we do for internal sites and one of our public sites. This
isn't the "well documented" version - that's unfortunately company
confidential information that I can't send to anyone outside the company.
But here's the basic gist:

1. At the beginning of a new project, write a full list of requirements for
the project. From the big picture down to the minutiae. Basically, state
your requirements for the site with regards to checking images, links,
usability, grammar, etc. ("Each page shall be test-loaded and the correct
list, you basically have a test procedure - which is to go down the list
item by item, noting any discrepancies.

2. Decide how many times during the development process you will be putting
the site through its paces. Maybe you want to test once early, once in the
middle, and once slightly before delivery. Maybe you only have time for one
test and fix cycle near the end of the project. Whatever schedule you
believe you will have time to stick to.

3. Create a database where you'll log each of the discrepancies you find as
you go through the site following your test procedure. You can throw in all
sorts of bells & whistles here, giving each bug a seriousness rating,
assigning bug fixes to specific people, estimate how many manhours it will
take to remedy each bug, etc. One of the most useful bell and/or whistle
you can include in this database is a field where the bug fixer can note
what the fix was. That way, if the problem was difficult to solve (let's
say a relatively complex perl script or javascript had to be written to
achieve desired functionality) and might come up again, you'll have the
solution sitting in the database, and your employees won't have to
re-invent the wheel.

4. Using the information in your bug database at different points in
development, you should be able to see potential problems. Mistakes that
keep getting made over and over, possible schedule overruns, etc. Your
database will not only help you make sure you fix all the bugs you found,
but it will also serve as a log that will help you fix future problems
before they happen. You'll see patterns: things you can fix with more
training, more planning, etc.

Good luck. Quality assurance can be a rough road. :)

Kathy