[thelist] Disability Web Access Policy

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 23 10:45:44 CST 2001

> From: "Baker, Nick" <BakerN at mso.umt.edu>
[...]
>  I've moved to a new position, and am now responsible for developing
[...]
> we estimate, ~5,000 pages) accessible to people with disabilities.

congrats...

>  Now I am looking for examples of institutional accessibility
> policies and implementation plans. If you have written or know of any
> I'd be grateful if you would share them--I'll share ours as it
> develops, and let anyone interested know how this process goes on our
> campus. I have found several good university sites/policies via
> google, and I am trying to connect with the perpetrators: I'd really
> like to have another brain or three off of which to bounce ideas.

well, for one project, i'm just using the WAI Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 1.0 (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/) and specifying a
conformance level (Conformance Level "A", in one case)...

this may sound lazy, but it seemed kinda silly to re-create it all... what i'm
doing on top of that is offering specific examples of code or client-specific
design to show methods to reach compliance...

>  TheList may not be the best venue for sharing this information. If
> there is a focused list dealing with institutional access issues, we
> could move this discussion there--but I m not aware of one. Another
> approach might be to set up e-mail distribution lists of those
> interested.

there are probably W3C lists devoted to this, but there a *lot* of people here
would love to see that info, and discuss it... i'm one of them...