[thelist] Removing tags in an input field: What else to remove?

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon May 14 13:12:22 CDT 2001

At 11:22 AM 5/15/2001, you wrote:
>Seth,
>
>I agree with you, but in practice it, the method in which the tags are
>removed will play an important part in whether what you say is even
>possible.  If the < and > are replaced with character entities &lt; and &gt;
>then you can do what you have recommended.  If the intent is to actually
>*remove* the offending code, then what you recommend is not feasible.
>
>A person, for example, may be trying to show a simple mathematical proof in
>the text area, such as:
>
>if a<b, and b<=c, then a<c
>
>Such a proof would probably break the stripper, or would get removed from
>the input, which is probably not what is intended.  Dunno, maybe possibly
>offensive code is sent to someone for review before it is posted?  Just a
>thought.

Hmmmm.  That's a good point, albeit unlikely in this case (it's a church
web site).  I suppose the possibility is there for that sort of a
problem.  I'll have to take that into account if
#FindNoCase(">",var,start)# returns 0.  Unless...

Dang.  The logic is breaking down here.  Because, what if this happens:

   Reflexive:
   If a<b then b>a.

Then I'll have all sorts of weirdness.  This might just have be an
acceptable known glitch.  I'll just warn them about doing things like this.

Ah well.  If they wouldn't try to get creative with their HTML skills, this
wouldn't be an issue.  I just want to force some design standards.  Argh.

--Ben

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive