[thelist] information architecture & visio

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Fri Jul 13 12:13:05 CDT 2001

[i'm not an information architect, but i play one at work]

easy to understand, not attractive (we'll deal with that in a minute:) my
favorite starting point is a large piece of cardboard. we start in the
middle (home page, usually, but not always.)

now, brain dump - big loopy circles for 'this area' and 'that area,'
individual pages grouped more or less in those areas or new, undefined
areas.

next, color-coded lines for linkage (in a general sense, not each individual
hyperlink.) does this area naturally lead to that area? link 'em up for now.
does your business plan call for linkage from that area to over here? how do
we envision visitors moving thru the site? draw the anticipated paths thru
the site

finally, re-create in visio. this lets me focus on to process rather than
the tool; i'm MUCH better with a box of crayons than i am with visio.
however, if you can visio better than you crayon, you can start here and
skip the cardboard.

after the site layout, create some real pretty printouts of each major page
layout. include the browser with full chrome (if you can ascertain your
client's favorite browser, that's a plus) so they see the real vision
instead of something unrealistic. insert everybody's favorite bedtime story
(Lorem Ipsum) and smile a lot while you explain how simple it all is.

spinhead