[thelist] PHP/Perl: How do they talk?

Tammy Rudotski aneemal555 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 04:02:16 CDT 2001

Here's an interesting one (imho).

Are their any geniuses out there that know how to get the following
procedure working:
1. A PHP calls a Perl script, and sends a function call to it (e.g.
CreateUserAccount( "user", "password" ).
2. The Perl script contains the CreateUserAccount function. It performs the
function (i.e. creates the user account in a database). If the function is
completed successfully, it returns True, else it returns False. The result
is returned to the PHP script.
3. The PHP script informs the user that the account was successfully
completed if True was returned. If False was returned, then it redisplays
the form (with an explanation as to why the request failed).

And that's it. In effect, I'm interested in sending a function call from PHP
to Perl, and returning a result from Perl to PHP. If anybody has any
experience in getting these two brothers to talk to each other, then your
assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Any help will be appreciated. If I figure it out first, I'll be sure to post
the solution here.

Ciao

GML